Friday, August 19, 2016

Laziest Kate

I just discovered a way to make a very easy, temporary "lazy Kate". I had some small amounts of handspun yarn, from a recent class, that I wanted to ply. One exercise I didn't get to during my week at Sievers was to ply from a center pull ball. One ply from the outside, one from inside. I was too lazy to use the "Kate" on my Louet wheel which was in a room some distance (downstairs) from the table holding my ballwinder. There happened to be a straight, # 7 knitting needle nearby. It was being used to replace one of the antennae on my old studio TV. Hey, whatever works. And I'm a big fan of repurposing so I took the needle and slipped my bobbin on it. I attached the yarn to the winder, held the needle upright and in just a few minutes I had a neat ball ready for plying.



I wouldn't be surprised if someone had done this before, "nothing new under the sun,"and all, but it was new to me. If it is new to you, give it a try. Yes, I put the antenna back so its handy for next time.

The other part of the exercise was to ply the yarn so that both plies were the same color. I knit this swatch to see how I did. Not to bad. One more exercise to check off my list.



I had spun the yarn from rolags pulled from a blending board, my new favorite spinning tool. I realize that some of you may not be familiar with spinning terms so my next post will deal with some of those. In the meantime, enjoy doing whatever you  love, and maybe try something out of your comfort zone, a crazy color combo or an unfamiliar technique.

Happy knitting, spinning, stitching....................

No comments:

Post a Comment