Saturday, June 9, 2012


 Its International Yarn Bombing Day

And I almost missed it! Today I received a box in the mail from Sievers School of Fiber Arts. It contained three new Louet spinning wheel bobbins that I ordered the day before yesterday. What great service (Thanks, Ann). Last year on IYBD I was at Sievers enjoying a week of Batik when someone reminded me of yarn bombing which I had been introduced to the year before. While my waxed fabric was in the dye pot, I took time out to go to School House Beach and make my small contribution to the day. 




The wonderful Washington Islanders are very protective of their beautiful beach as you can see from the sign pictured below.



With that in mind, I used cotton crochet thread to form a net around one of the smooth rounded rocks that the beach is famous for. 


No rock beings were harmed in the process.

The net form was my tribute to the fishing culture that still remains, reflecting the rich heritage of this island of Native Hurons, French missionaries and voyageurs, and Scandinavian settlers.
If you aren’t familiar with yarn bombing I would suggest you get a hold of Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti, by Mandy Moore and Leane Prain. And if you plan to take part in this interesting art form, please be kind to the environment.
Happy Stitches.

1 comment:

  1. That is so cute. I haven't had time to read your blog lately, I'll have to back track when I get some time. I showed your animal print wall hangings to someone at school. She thought they were amazing. They are. Love to all, Anne

    ReplyDelete