Thursday, April 5, 2012

welcome to ikn

Welcome to my first post in "i'm knitting now." I've been sitting in my "knitting spot" thinking about making my first pair of socks. I know I have to measure my feet. Okay, 10 1/2 inches is the length of my foot, but is the width down near the ball and toes or up near the instep? I start looking for the answer to that question in books I have acquired in the last year since my interest has turned to knitting. When I pull Kristin Nicholas from my shelf, I'm reminded why I started knitting again after thirty some years. Looking at her work in Kristin Knits and Color by Kristin not only gives me my color fix for the day, but also tickles me from the inside out. Next year during the doldrums, I'm going to try to remember to use her books to brighten dreary winter days. The first things I knit last year were a hat and baby sweater inspired by Kristin. They are not as colorful as she would have made them, but they were a new beginning for me.
I was going to use some Patons Kroy Socks yarn from JoAnn's, and instruction from The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann Budd for my first sock adventure, and I think I'll stick to that plan while I decide which of Kristin's luscious socks to knit. In KK she has two colorway options, "atlantic and pacific socks." Since I live near the third coast, a couple of miles from Lake Michigan, maybe I'll come up with my own color combination.

Oh, I think I'm going with the ball and toe measurement. If I'm wrong, let me know. If I'm right, I'd still like to hear from you. In the meantime, good stitches.


No comments:

Post a Comment